Wednesday 1 December 2010

Eat, Pray, Love Revolution

Even before I read the book, saw the movie or even knew that Julia Roberts is involved I was sold by the title. Minus the Pray part, everything else cried out to me and grabbed my attention. I knew it was written by a woman. It had to be. I am not a huge proponent of gender stereotyping but, common, that is an estrogen infused title. Elizabeth Gilbert is my new role model. I am officially planning to be her when I grow up, which is hopefully any day now.

I promised myself I would not see the film until I read the book. Much like most of my promises to myself, this one promptly fell by the wayside. Damn redboxes everywhere with Julia and Javier staring ever so seductively at me from the DVD cover. I saw it and it was fabulous. Just glorious. So refreshing to see a) that some women are just as (or even more!) messed up in the head as me and b) that there are people who actually embark of the fascinating journey of inner self-discovery and pursuit their dreams vs. just talk/blog about it in like some other people. And: Javier is damn easy on the eyes.

Really, nothing short of greatness is bound to emerge when phenomenal acting is planted into even more phenomenal writing. Plus there is food fetish throughout most of the film. I am talking hard core authentic Italian carbs, not just some "skinny-sugar-free-not-fat culinary concoction". I am convinced the book was written for me and if an author can make a reader feel that way, that's a damn good writer. There is so much to relate to in this film for - I guess - every woman: divorce, midlife crisis, really bad dating, muffin top, and emotional restlessness. I am starting the book tonight. There is so much to discover in the book compared to the movie. It's like going on a real in person date after seeing a picture and a profile online. I am going on a real date with Liz in Eat, Pray, Love tonight. It's looking like a keeper. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment