Tuesday 23 November 2010

Living up to the commitment

As my eyes roam around aimlessly in search of something to use a focal point for today's writing quota, I think about the most popular advice those who made it big in writing give to those who aspire: write, write, write. Write about anything: what you had for breakfast, the traffic you sat in on the way to work, the stupid annoying fat guy at work who sits in the cubicle next to you...  My breakfast is a hit and miss and today it was none-existent; traffic is nothing noteworthy and I really ought to stay away from writing about work. Liability and all. I do have something moderately interesting to share, a self-observation of sorts. A lot can be determined about a person based on where that person shops. Last weekend I visited the Home Goods Store, a place that as recently as about three years ago I looked down at as a discount paradise for stay at home moms. Nonetheless, even though not the stay at home kind, I am a mom with a year-old baby, a house an SUV, a job, an unfulfilled dream of being a writer, and lots of other baggage. So, yet again I had a need for yet another baking pan and my fate took me to the Home Goods Store. I got the said goods along with a colorful "a-la modern" looking apron. Last time I was this excited was when I discovered the existence of Hissyfits. A cool apron is hard to come by. Not an easy find I tell you, I dare you to disprove this statement. It is amazing how happy it made me to find just the right one. It is another goal accomplished. It is a small goal but small goals have utmost significance in our lives. I have figured out that if you make enough of these cute seemingly important little goals, one day you will feel like there is a wall of comfort that you've build around yourself with these little "goal-itas" and if you work really hard hopefully your wall is high enough for it to block the sight of the big goal you once had.

No comments:

Post a Comment